Monday, April 26, 2010

Movies vs. Books

Here I am again!Been a long weekend, with some good times. So lets continue!
Movies versus Books.
Books versus Movies.
Who's side are you on? I don't think anyone should have a side really. The people that say, "Oh the book is ALWAYS better." aren't right.
Do I have an example? Yeah, but I will get to that later.
I have been conducting research, without even knowing it really. The last 2 books, and the current one that I am reading have all been made into movies. First was Emma, by Jane Austen. Then The Time Travelers Wife, by some author the name escapes me at the moment. And I am currently reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. So after reading and comparing to thier movie conterparts, I am ready to blog about Movies vs. Books!!
Ok, now to deal with my statement at the beginning of this blog. The book is not always better than the movie. The Time Travelers Wife being a very good example. The movie was good. Tear jerker fo sho! I really related to it, because its all about waiting for the one you love, I and my husband had a long distance relationship(they can and do work I know of 3 good ones!). Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana worked very well together, and I thought they handled the time traveling well since when he time travels, he becomes stark naked. It wasn't silly, but it could have been, but the movie really worked it out well. All in all a decent chick flick. Now, the book. I really didn't like it. The writing style, well wasn't my style. It was crass and crude most of the time, and I didn't really like the characters. Again the time travel part was cool, but other than that I would choose movie over book anytime.
Emma. This one is tougher. I don't like Emma, as in the main character. I enjoyed the other characters immensley but couldn't stand her. It took me almost 3 months to read it all because I didn't like her that much.Movie version. Emma or Clueless? Def Clueless. Emma(1996), was pretty much the same as the book, I couldn't like the titular character.
Clueless on the other hand is a very good loose adaptation of the novel. Very 90's, totally in the moment kinda movie. But I can still watch it today and enjoy it even though they are wearing awful clothes, and saying "As if!" A movie for generation X. So movie better than book.
Inkheart. This is a case where the movie is worse than the book. I have only read about half the book, but its already drastically different than the book. The movie was all over the place and you could tell just from watching the movie stuff was left out and not explained well at all. And I find it funny that honsetly, that this was made into a movie. Its a book about books! Its something that has to be read! Not watched. Like who read this book, about books, about reading books, and said, "Lets make a movie!" Boggles my mind!
So after those few comparisons, I am sure you are wondering, "What does she think about Harry Potter? Or LotR?"
Lets deal with Harry first. I must admit I have only read 2 HP books. The first 2 "kids" books. And I stopped. Why? Disinterest. How many movies have I seen? All of them. Several times. I even own Chamber of Secrets(favorite)and Order of the Phoenix(PMS Harry!). I am a HP movie fan. I really like all the movies, and have no desire to read the books.
LotR. Ah, the memories. Next year the Fellowship movie will be 10 years old. 10!!Wow, time sure does fly(you fools!). Yes, I have read all 3 LotR books. And the Hobbit and the Simarillion. And I thoroughly enjoy the movies. This is a case were the books are WAY better than the movies(don't get me started on the Two Towers movie!FARAMIR DID NOT TAKE THE HOBBITS TO OSGILIATHsorry, I said I wouldn't but I just couldn't stop myself).
Anyway. Where was I going with this whole blog anyway? Ah yes to prove a point. The book is not always better than a movie, it just depends on if you like the book. There are so many other book/movies I could have mentioned, but that would have made this a lot longer. Maybe I will dedicate an entire blog to Pride and Prejudice some time. That could take awhile to blog about....
Movies are great if you want a quick shot of the book(LotR), because some people(me)can't read that fast. Or if you just want to avoid the not so good book, and just enjoy a good movie. Or vice versa. Hope I have made myself clear. Never judge a movie by its book. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good last sentence! This is a touchy post I think, you might have to prepare for some different opinions, but that’s the fun of a blog :) Side note: Another good example is the Bourne series; the books are very different than the books. It depends on personal preference to what you prefer; I myself think the movies ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jurassic Park: book was better.

    ReplyDelete